William Saenger arrived in Texas in 1874. In 1880, he opened his
pottery in St. Hedwig, Bexar County, Texas, hiring William Meyer as a
helper. Because of imperfections in the clay, high fusion
temperatures, excessive lime and alumina content, there was a
resistance to salt used for the glaze. The result was the appearance of
many imperfections such as popouts and glaze peel. In 1886, he
moved his operation to Elmendorf, Texas, where there was an
abundance of good quality clay.