Paul E. Pressler. Austin, Painter, engineer, architect.
In the vein of Clara Pancoast. Possibly better than Clara?
Known as the Steam Brewery, Paul Pressler started brewing
in 1874 on Pecan (6th). The actual site for the brewery may have been
the site of the City of Austin Power Company. Later, Pressler's brother
Frank moved his saloon over from Congress to combine with the brewery
to form Pressler's Beer Garden. The business became a massive site, the
garden began at about 6th and Pressler Streets and continued down to the
river. It featured a dance pavilion, water fountain, croquet course, bandstand,
boating house on the river, a pond where alligators were kept, a dance
hall, and a rifle club called Schuetzen Verein. The Brewery closed in
1878. In 1882, H. Samuelson attempted to reopen it.
Read more: http://www.texasbreweries.com/pressler.htm#ixzz5JlGoayEM
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial
Follow us: @hiikeeba on Twitter